Author Topic: Many Cake Choices vs. Only Wedding Cake -- Update p.7  (Read 9674 times)

SoCalVal

Many Cake Choices vs. Only Wedding Cake -- Update p.7
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »
So, DF and I had our cake consultation last Saturday.  There was never any question of where we are getting our cake because I love this place's cakes.  However, we learned how expensive wedding cakes are (a 3- or 4-tiered wedding cake runs starts at $5.50/slice just for a fondant-covered cake -- no decorations; just placing a simple, wide diamond design in the fondant, which involves just scoring lines into the fondant about 2-3 inches apart, bumps that price up to $8+/slice).  Anyway, after making some adjustments, I got the final quote to be just over $3/slice (2-tiered wedding cake w/2 1/2 sheet cakes).  I looked at the bakery's website and calculated that if we get multiple different cakes (like say 10 10-inch rounds and our 2-tiered wedding cake), not only would the price per slice drop (under $3), but we'd also have fully-decorated cakes (the 1/2 sheet cakes would only have a layer of buttercream and the sides would not be iced -- so it would be like having one of those homemade cakes frosted in the pan).

I thought it would be a lot more fun and visually interesting to have many different cake options for our guests, rather than just the option of a slice of fondant-covered cake (and, of course, not everyone would get an outside slice so some would only have buttercream).  Was wondering what my fellow eHellions think?  DF's aunt and one of his friends think it's a lovely idea, but I'd like some more input.

Also, I was considering that, possibly, instead of having a cake buffet table, having each cake on a stand for each table as the centerpieces.  Our reception is going to be a fairly casual one so a big fancy cake isn't necessary (and totally not us).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:06:49 AM by SoCalVal »

audrey1962

Re: Many Cake Choices vs. Only Wedding Cake
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
Also, I was considering that, possibly, instead of having a cake buffet table, having each cake on a stand for each table as the centerpieces.  Our reception is going to be a fairly casual one so a big fancy cake isn't necessary (and totally not us).

I attended a wedding that did this and I thought it was very lovely. Each table had a different flavor cake - my table had carrot cake, but the table behind me had chocolate cake and the guests swapped flavors to find their preference. Personally, I found it to be fun and casual, as well as a conversation starter (I wonder what flavor cake it is?) and a way to get to know other guests (what flavor do you have at your table?).

The HC had a small cake at their table that they cut for photos.

Lynnv

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »
I love that idea.  We did a small decorated wedding cake for cutting, and then had several different sheet cakes to be cut up.  It meant we got more variety, having tasted both I think the sheet cake was moister and tastier (probably fresher), and there was enough for everyone to have seconds (and thirds) even though we gave good sized pieces of cake. 

If I had it to do again, I would probably skip the traditional cake and add in a cheesecake or two to the mix.

Mmmmm-cheesecake.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Gone

• it's only a paper moon...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
I think that you should make sure to have enough of each kind that people who would like some can have it--meaning perhaps try not to have too many different kinds and stick with a couple choices so that there's enough of X for most guests who'd like to try it to have some. 

If you do that, I think you will be fine.  I wouldn't say have 5 more cakes only and have each one be a different flavor.  If you're doing five maybe have 3 chocolate, 2 vanilla and a carrot cake (for example).
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."
Visit my blog: http://lisella.wordpress.com/
[

kitty_ev

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
I think it's a fantastic idea and a far better way to get what you want. Go for it!  :)

SoCalVal

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »
I think that you should make sure to have enough of each kind that people who would like some can have it--meaning perhaps try not to have too many different kinds and stick with a couple choices so that there's enough of X for most guests who'd like to try it to have some. 

If you do that, I think you will be fine.  I wouldn't say have 5 more cakes only and have each one be a different flavor.  If you're doing five maybe have 3 chocolate, 2 vanilla and a carrot cake (for example).

I'll keep that in mind.  I'd like to opt to have a carrot cake, cheesecake, tiramisu and a lemon chiffon cake among the available cakes (only the carrot cake is available as a standard wedding cake option).  Need to taste the lemon chiffon and cheesecake though; maybe tonight, yum!  If I must narrow them down, I definitely want cheesecake and carrot cake as option.  I'd only do one chocolate cake though (okay, maybe two, depending on how many cakes we'll need).  Their chocolate cakes are good but very heavy.  If we get to serve the food we're planning, people will be quite full by the time of the cake-cutting and likely won't want a heavy piece of cake (unless they want to take it home, which might also be an option).

wheeitsme

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
I love that idea.  We did a small decorated wedding cake for cutting, and then had several different sheet cakes to be cut up.  It meant we got more variety, having tasted both I think the sheet cake was moister and tastier (probably fresher), and there was enough for everyone to have seconds (and thirds) even though we gave good sized pieces of cake. 

If I had it to do again, I would probably skip the traditional cake and add in a cheesecake or two to the mix.

Mmmmm-cheesecake.

I did have cheesecake!

Everybody loved it, it was delicious, and it was so much cheaper!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
This thread has a serious issue...  I can't read it without REALLY wanting cake.  Where's my drool smilie?

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Cyradis

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
I think having options would be lovely. Wedding cakes here are mostly what we call black cake, fruit cake made with rum or brandy, and covered with almond icing. They're traditional but never very palatable. Lemon chiffon and carrot cakes sound gorgeous.

I want to make carrot cake now.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
I would shy away from doing a different per table unless it is open seating with the type of cake disclosed so people can pick.

I would be stewing on the verge of tears if i got stuck at a table with a cake I did not like.  The idea of a wedding without cake. . . . well it would destroy the reception for me.  I just sit there totally depressed and POed my craptastic luck. (I get bitter about getting a raw deal do to stupid luck,  i find it incredibly depressing)  

This might also not go over well but i have to say my piece.   Cheesecake is not "cake"  Just like a doughnut is not a brownie, a cookie is not icecream, and eclare is not a pie and a tart is not chocolate souffle.   It was poorly named.  It is valid dessert, and if you want to have it instead of cake at your wedding, ball all means do, same as if you want a doughnut tree, but don't call it cake.  Don't offer people "cake" and give them cheesecake, offer them cheesecake.  Nothing sadder than looking forward to a cake just to get disappointed due to stupid terminology cakes have flour and yeast.  If you are familiar with Reddit this is a total troll face for me.    

Along that line, I think if you are doing, regular cake, tiramisu, cheesecake, etc., I think you do need to order way way more.  They are just too different of desserts (yes think of them as deserts, rather than cakes) and I suspect people will be more inclined to try more than one/many if they are sooo different.  Sorta like if you are doing cake and ice cream, you get one of each, not either or.  I suspect that if you stick to more variations on a basic cake people may be more likely to pick one than sample all.  I am struggling to word this well, but it seems more human nature that if you have options that are very different, that you do one of each rather than picking.  

Now having extra desserts is not a bad thing,  go for it.  Just be sure to plan accordingly, and i doubt many people would be to sad at one less side dish, but more desserts.  

Lynnv

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 05:19:53 PM »
I would shy away from doing a different per table unless it is open seating with the type of cake disclosed so people can pick.

I would agree with this.  The church ladies served up our cake, so there was no problem with having choices for people.

This might also not go over well but i have to say my piece.   Cheesecake is not "cake"  

I agree here too.  Cheesecake is a custard.  A tasty, yummy custard...but a custard nonetheless.  Definitely not a cake. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

wheeitsme

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »

I would agree with this.  The church ladies served up our cake, so there was no problem with having choices for people.

This might also not go over well but i have to say my piece.   Cheesecake is not "cake"  

I agree here too.  Cheesecake is a custard.  A tasty, yummy custard...but a custard nonetheless.  Definitely not a cake. 

But it has a crust.  Does that make it a pie?

Cyradis

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

Custard pie?

On one of those Food Network pie challenges the judges were debating what a pie really was. Apparently the filling should be contained by crust on at least the bottom and sides.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 06:09:23 PM »

Custard pie?

On one of those Food Network pie challenges the judges were debating what a pie really was. Apparently the filling should be contained by crust on at least the bottom and sides.

I would say cheesecake is closer to pie than cake.  It has some similarities to cream pies at least.  But Pie itself is sorta a weird dish as fruit pies and cream pies are dramatically different.

I am glad people are not after me with pitchforks though,  people tend to get defensive to cheesecake.

Cyradis

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »

I would say cheesecake is closer to pie than cake.  It has some similarities to cream pies at least.  But Pie itself is sorta a weird dish as fruit pies and cream pies are dramatically different.

I am glad people are not after me with pitchforks though,  people tend to get defensive to cheesecake.

Perhaps cheesecake transcends the cake and pie categories? It's such a wonderfully decadent yet comforting dessert.