Author Topic: Abby, what were ya thinking?!? **Last letter**  (Read 1852 times)

postalslave

Abby, what were ya thinking?!? **Last letter**
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »
Am I the only one who thought Dear Abby was way off?  ???   :o

I'll admit my wedding experience is lacking (I've been to three in my life lol) but the couple's request totally strikes me a SS to the max...

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20121217

Clux44

Re: Abby, what were ya thinking?!? **Last letter**
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:04:13 AM »
I am always the first to flinch at bridezilla type demands but to be honest, I think it's a perfectly reasonable request. If Nicole Kidman could manage it for 10 years, then I am sure you could do one day.

If everyone can manage flats; you can. I just can't see what your problem is with the letter

gellchom

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
I agree that this is ridiculous.  I would be laughing my head off if I got an invitation like that. (I'd be tempted to ask for an exemption because I am only 5'1" and don't tower over anyone even in my highest heels, just to be obnoxious.  And then I would recall that I don't have any flat shoes that would go with wedding-guest clothes - mostly flipflops or sneakers - and be annoyed that I'd have to go buy something just for the one day.)

What's wrong with being short, anyway?  You're short, you're short -- that's who's getting married.  Why is it important to be taller than your guests?  If you were ugly, would you ask your friends not to wear makeup?  If you're heavy, would you ask them to wear unflattering clothes?

I'd feel the same way about instructions to wear a certain color or other overly controlling instructions.  Other than for a costume party, the hosts set the formality level and then let the guests dress themselves.  You want to tell them exactly what to wear, make them attendants.

An invitation like this makes the couple appear like they are more concerned with being king and queen for their !!Special Day!! than with the part about getting married. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
There's a very vigorous discussion of this on the other site:  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=123650.0.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LtPowers

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
If you were ugly, would you ask your friends not to wear makeup?  If you're heavy, would you ask them to wear unflattering clothes?

Are you new here?  ;)

Powers  &8^]