Author Topic: Yahoo Article - 10 things couples should register for, but don't  (Read 1546 times)

CLE_Girl

Interesting article on Yahoo this weekend:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/10-wedding-gifts-you-re-not-registering-for-but-should.html

I agree with the first 7 - which basically comes down to register for practical things (garbage cans, vacuum cleaner, bedding, extra glasses and plates).  I'm sort of okay with the Honeymoon registery (I know it's not super popular here, but I think it can be done politely).  Not cool with #9 - asking guests to pay for your wedding by buying giftcards for your vendors, no.  And #10 has to be done with extreme caution, do not donate to a cause the couple doesn't already donate to.

StoutGirl

Re: Yahoo Article - 10 things couples should register for, but don't
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
The last few I do not approve of, but I certainly agree with the first ones.  One thing that really surprised me in the article (if I understood it correctly) was that a significant amount of couples allowed a mother to create the registry or that she had significant input regarding it.  I don't always see that as a bad thing, the mother/parent might give very good advice, but I think that it could also potentially open the doors for disagreements, from differences in tastes and lifestyles, to opinions on prices.

sallyann

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Not keen on the article at all.

It assumes that people are registering for entertainment things rather than vacuums and power tools because they are thinking about the fun aspect of marriage and not the cleaning and diy they'll need to do. It seems much more likely that most people getting married these days already have these items (shockingly, unmarried people vacuum too!). Most people don't get married out of their parents home, and already have the necessities.

I suspect the cooking and baking goods popularity is due to it being in the overlap between non-necessity fun things and traditional 'domestic' things. So people register for fancier bake ware for entertaining etc, or speciality appliances, that allow them to cook different stuff.

I must admit as a guest I prefer the idea of gifts that are 'nice' as well as practical. I prefer the idea of my friends thinking of me when they use their new wine glasses, then them thinking of me when they use their new bin...

I also find it weird that it says entertainment electronics 'wont stand the test of time' but apparently cleaning supplies will? (I think either are 'ok' on registries, but probably wouldn't do either myself).

I don't like honeymoon registries, giftcards for the wedding etc. If you don't have any physical gifts you particularly want, just don't have a registry. Guests are perfectly capable of giving you cash if they want to without you 'nudging' them into it.

Apres L'aube

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:37 AM »
The article is odd. A lot of the things it says are on basic 'registry items' lists. Of course the honeymoon and wedding costs ones make me sick. Insane. True Sally Ann that a lot of people have the basics. I personally don't. Neither does my fiance. We are waiting to live together till after the wedding. We've lived on our own for a little while during college but don't have anything. I like registry lists (not this one!) for that reason. We need EVERYTHING. We have... my bed, my dresser, and some towels. The registry in our case is part "hey we need this stuff, and if you want to buy us something but don't know what, here ya go!" and part, "after we settle down we need to go buy all this stuff." Haha. Tad overwhelming really.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:11:09 PM »
The wedding costs one seems a bit tacky. If you cannot afford a big wedding, consider cheaper alternatives. Guests are not likely to complain that there was a DJ instead of a live band, or that the bouquets had daisies instead of calla lilies.

The rest seem perfectly reasonable to me. Honeymoon experiences are good gifts just as clocks and china are.
I have pet mice!